Coronavirus Updates

Furlough FAQ's (10.08.2020)

What is Furlough?

Furlough is when you are not required to attend work but are still employed by the Company and paid Furlough through the Government Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. Although you will not be provided with work during Furlough leave, you must return to work when we ask you to so be prepared that this could be at short notice.  If you are not available when we ask you to return we may treat this as a breach of contract and this may affect your payment under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

How long will this be for?

The Job Retention Scheme will run until October 2020, with varied levels of contribution required from us as your employer. Your furlough shall end on the earliest of the following events:-
  • The government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme ending
  • Either you or us ceasing to be eligible for funding under that scheme
  • Us deciding to cancel your Furlough Leave
  • We ask you to return to work

Can I take up alternative employment?

You can take up alternative employment but you must be available for work when we call you. If you are not then we may bring your assignment to an end and we will bring your Furlough to an end and all payment under the Job Retention Scheme will stop. If you take up a second job please tell your local representative straight away or email or (whichever company you work for).

Can I take holiday while on Furlough?

Yes, if you wish to book holiday please request this via the normal holiday booking procedure via your local branch/site. The Company may at its discretion enforce holiday for you.

COVID-19 FAQ's (10.08.2020)

What are the recognised symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

Recognised symptoms currently include:
  • high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
  • new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
  • loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you’ve noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal

What should I do if I have symptoms of Coronavirus?

You should inform your local representative immediately and then:
  • You should get a Coronavirus test within 5 days of your symptoms starting. ( Until you receive your results, you should:
    • Stay at home (self-isolate). Anyone you live with must also self-isolate until you’ve been tested and received your result.
    • Do not leave your home for any reason – if you need food or medicine, order it online or by phone, or ask friends and family to drop it off at your home.
    • Do not have visitors in your home, including friends and family – except for essential care.
    • Try to avoid contact with anyone you live with as much as possible.
    • If you live with someone at higher risk from coronavirus, try to arrange for them to stay with friends or family until you have had your result. You try to continue this arrangement if you test positive.

What will I need to do if I test positive (have Coronavirus)?

You must self-isolate for 10 days from when your symptoms started and we may ask you to get re-tested before returning to work. Anyone you live with must self-isolate for 14 days from when your symptoms started.
You should also:
  • Request a covid-19 self-certificate form from your  local representative to cover your self-isolation for 7 calendar days, complete it and send it to
  • After 7 days, contact NHS 111 to obtain an isolation note and email it to
  • Keep in contact with your local representative about when you are ready to return to work

What are the other rules for self-isolation?

If you live with someone with the above symptoms, you should self-isolate and stay away from work for 14 days from the day their symptoms started.
If you have recently returned to the UK from any overseas country that isn’t exempt from the Government’s advice against all but essential travel, you will need to self-isolate for 14 days after your return. A list of countries that are exempt can be found here:

I have been contacted by NHS Test and Trace, what should I do?

You must follow the advice given to you and isolate for 14 days from the last time you were in contact with the person that has tested positive.
If you develop symptoms during this 14 day isolation period you should follow the guidance given above.

What will happen if one of my colleagues has to self-isolate because they have symptoms?

That person will self-isolate for the duration required but everybody else should continue working as normal unless advised otherwise. Offices will only be closed where we are advised to do so by Public Health England.

What will I get paid?

Workers self-isolating with/without symptoms will receive SSP if you are eligible. You must report your absence as per normal procedures and provide a Covid-19 Self-Certificate Form to claim SSP.

Where can I obtain further advice?

You are able to refer to the UK Government website, which is updated daily at 2pm or to the NHS website. We do advise all staff to keep themselves updated of any changes.